Monday, January 21, 2013

Paris in the Snow

New Englanders are nothing if not hardy in the snow. There are seemingly born with an instinctive sense of how to dress for it, commute in it and -- above all -- shovel it. Most get a secretive thrill out of the act of shoveling snowy sidewalks (I know my husband did), scraping ice-covered windshields and sprinkling salt over the pavement.

Despite living in the Boston area for eight years, I'm no New Englander. I never quite adjusted to the harsh reality of winter: seeing mountains of snow piled atop my car, wrangling squirmy toddlers in and out of snowsuits, wearing clothing that always seemed better suited to a warming hut on a ski slope than life in a busy city. Alas, I could never shake my inner Californian.

Which brings to Paris and more specifically, to Parisians, in the snow. In case you haven't heard, we've seen quite a lot of snow here in the last few days. And from what I can tell, Parisians bear a stronger resemblance to Californians than to Bostonians when it comes to managing it. It began on Friday like a winter dream: a veil of white descending upon the city, making it glow in a shimmery softness. We enjoyed a morning of snowballs fights and built a mini bonhomme de neige before our feet froze and we heard the siren song of a mug of chocolate chaud.

That was the weekend. Today, Monday, was a different story, as Parisians trudged grumpily through what New Englanders know as a "wintry mix" of snow, rain and ice that clogged gutters and piled in slushy mounds along every sidewalk. No one shovels here, you see. No one owns snow shovels (and they probably wouldn't do it anyway). So the scene on the streets was one of ill-outfitted Parisians (I spotted more than one woman teetering on stiletto bottines) trying to navigate the unfamiliar terrain and grumbling all the way.

Nonetheless, the city looks pretty magical. If the forecast proves correct (always a serious if in Paris, we're likely to see more of the white stuff as the week continues.) As for me, I'll be busting out my inner Bostonian, feeling oddly at ease as snow blankets the City of Light.


6 Comments:

At January 22, 2013 at 9:27 AM , Blogger 24/7 in France said...

Paris is absolutely wonderful in any kind of weather, but especially beautiful in these photos!

 
At January 22, 2013 at 10:34 AM , Blogger labergerebasque said...

Your images are absolutely heart warming…despite the cold. :)

 
At January 22, 2013 at 11:06 AM , Blogger Paige said...

Oh, thank you! Improving my photography skills is one of my resolutions for the year so I'm especially glad you like them. Enjoy your day and thanks for commenting.

 
At January 22, 2013 at 11:06 AM , Blogger Paige said...

Merci, merci! Is there snow where you are?

 
At January 23, 2013 at 4:18 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's freezing in Washington right now - but so far no snow. I move to Paris in four weeks and I'm convinced that I'm going to miss the snow in both cities (this will be devastating to me; snowflakes are the best thing about winter!).

But I've got to know, do Parisians build snowmen? ;)

 
At January 27, 2013 at 7:01 PM , Blogger travel4fun said...

I miss Paris so much. But as I like snow only for one day or two the most I will wait for warmer periods till I visit it again.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home